The surrounding rural region of Nandigram is populated mostly by illiterate, deprived tribal people. Much is required to be done to promote awareness for personal hygiene and provide primary health care as well as proper medical services.
Nandigram has pursued various activities as under in the health sector:
- A dispensary in the campus of Nandigram serving an average of 85 outpatients per day an d prov i ding medical care and medicines at nominal rate.
- Weekly mobile clinic at nearby four villages.
- Medical camps at remote centers as and when required.
- Regular medical camps at the campus for awareness and treatment of various prevalent diseases organised with the help of specialist doctors in the fields of pediatrics, gynecology, dermatology, psychiatry etc.
- Special center for Tuberculosis w here patients are given treatment and medicines totally free of cost.
- Training in primary health care to local workers in remote, difficult to reach areas. These trained community health workers(CHW) dispense free medicines for minor ailments, give guidance to patients requiring hospitalization specially in cases of snake bites and refer difficult cases to Nandigram health center. The trained community health workers (CHW) also pay regular visits to various parts of the viIlages to create general health awareness and offer guidance in health related issues.
- Providing alternative therapies such as Ayurved, Homeopathy and Naturopathy.
- Arrangement for sending patients to big city hospitals in Mumbai, Surat, Ahmadabad for serious illnesses like kidney/cancer/heart ailment etc.
- Substantial financial assistance to patients requiring special investigations and surgery.