Nandigram has a well developed educational campus called Vikramsheela. Vikram means valour, Sheel signifies virtue. The key theme of Vikaramsheela is as follows:
a. children and youngsters may grow up into strong and healthy adults, both in body and in spirit, and
b. they may be adventurous and brave, kind and considerate, with a deep sense of honesty and responsibility. Through Vikaramsheela and also by way of reaching out to the interior villages of this tribal region, Nandigram undertakes various programs to ameliorate some of the shortcomings or the educational system prevalent in this area and its poor implementation.
The programs are as follows:
- Weekend children’s club in the campus providing facilities for playing and learning different arts, crafts, computer usage and school subjects.
- Daily evening sessions to help 7-14 years’ old students in their school education.
- Library, well equipped playground and games for general development.
- Full time summer camps for 5 to 12 years’ old.
- Environment awareness and nature appreciation picnic trips, trips to big towns and industries to let tribal children have a glimpse of modern technological growth.
- Computer education training to village students in Basic, Tally Accounting, Web-designing etc. at very nominal fees. A Government recognized short term computer course is also conducted at Vikramsheela.
- Free hostel facility for students living in far-flung areas thereby reducing commuting time.
- Scholarships and loans to students desirous of further higher studies, especially girl students.
- Free nutritional refreshment to children attending various activities at Vikramsheela involving considerable cost.